Thursday, February 2, 2012

First World Problems

Your job and your love life.
I woke up this morning with a harmonica in my purse, in a house I hadn't recognized from the street in the dark.  Drunk friends think I either don't have the key, or that I don't know where I'm going.  But I am going here: Where mulling spices float and sink in brewing tea no more quickly than the melody of a cello from another room.
I reach into the farthest corners of the cabinets, past pint glasses, and stained coffee mugs, for the tea china. There is a pair of cups, and one without a mate. I serve the pair to my friends on the living room floor.  That room put me in secure suspension, as I play my part as an eyes-closed-witness to one of my favorite movements in the symphony of youth (Playing the subtlest snare in the rhythm section, but hey could you call your friend over here?): Falling in Love After Last-Call in an Altered State.

No comments:

Post a Comment